This easy garden to table recipe combines fresh roasted carrots, shallots and ginger to make a soup that will quickly become a family favourite.
Fresh Garden to Table | Roasted Carrot & Ginger Soup with Sour Cream
2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons peeled fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 sweet yellow onions, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup half-n-half cream
salt and pepper to taste
sour cream or yogurt for serving
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped (optional)
thinly sliced green onions for topping (optional)
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter, add onions. Cook onions, stirring frequently, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, carrots, and ginger.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender. Approx 15 to 20 minutes.
- Puree soup until smooth, either using an immersion blender or by carefully transferring soup to a blender and then returning it to the pot.
- Stir in the half-n-half and warm over medium heat until hot.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup in bowls, topped with green onions & a small spoonful of sour cream.
Gemmells - Your Ottawa Valley Garden Centre
Proudly serving Merrickville, Cornwall, Richmond, Stittsville, Kanata, Smiths Falls, Brockville, Kemptville, Manotick, Carleton Place, Carp, Perth & everywhere in between.